At Queens College you can get a Bachelor of Arts in Biology, or a Bachelor of Arts in Biology – Education. If you take four semesters of research for credit you are also eligible to defend an Honors Thesis.
Here are the requirements for the Biology Major:
- You must have at least 36 credits in Biology courses, including BIOL 105 and 106.
- Biology 105 and 106 or their equivalents must be taken at the same college.
- You must take CHEM 113 and 114 (General Chemistry I & II, and either 102 or 251 (Organic Chemistry)
- Choose one of the following: Math 151 or 142 (Calculus), or Biol 230 (Biostatistics)
- Choose at least two of the following “Principles” courses: BIO 285 (Genetics), 286 (Cell Biology), and 287 (Evolutionary Biology)
- At least 20 of the Biology credits above Biology 106 must be taken at Queens College
- Transfers: a maximum of 16 Biology credits are acceptable as transfer credits in the maor.
- At least four of the Biology electives must be a laboratory/field course, and at least three of them must be at the 300 level.
Click on the following links for forms outlining these and other (Biology minor and Biology Education major) requirements that you can use to chart your progress:
QC Biology Major Requirements Biology Education Major Requirements QC Biology Minor Requirements
Are you majoring in something else? The Biology Department offers survey and topic-oriented courses (designated as the 001-099 series) that have been designed for non majors. Most of these courses have recitation/discussion sections rather than formal laboratories.